Law of Contract in New Zealand 3rd ed
Published: February 2007
Publisher: LexisNexis New Zealand
Country of Publication: New Zealand
Price: Out of print
Now in its Third Edition, Burrows, Finn and Todd's Law of Contract in New Zealand, a successor to Cheshire and Fifoot's Law of Contract 8th NZ edition, provides definitive coverage of the the law of contract in New Zealand.
The clarity and the comprehensive nature of the discussion make this book the first point of reference fo the legal practitioner, the law student, and all who are interested in this core field of law. This latest edtion maintains and builds upon the exemplary standards set by its predecesors.
This Third Edition includes a host of new and significant cases. Examples just in 2006 include-
- Gulf corporation Ltd v Gulf Harbour Investments Ltd (options to purchase),
- BS Developments Ltd v PB and SF Propeties Ltd (consideration and options),
- Percy v Church of Scotland Board of National Mission (intention to create legal relations),
- Nalder & Biddle (Nelson) Ltd v C & F Fishing Ltd (incorporation of exclusion clauses),
- Steele v Serepisos (termination of contracts after failure of a condition),
- Ballance Agri-Nutrients (Kapuni) Ltd v The Gama Foundation (ambit of the Contracts (Privity) Act 1982),
- Paper Reclaim Ltd v Aotearoa International Ltd (exemplary damages),
- and Eastern Services Ltd v No 68 Ltd (effect of lapse of time on equitable claims).
All of the chapters have been updated in the light of these and many other developments, and where appropriate some have been partly rewritten. Some particular examples are the discussions of contracts made by electronic means, the need for consideration on a variation of contract, relief under the Contractual Mistakes Act 1977, developments in the law of undue influence in the light of Royal Bank of Scotland Plc v Etridge, the cancellation of contracts, and the limitation of actions by statute or in equity.