CIPA Guide to the Patents Acts 7th ed with 2nd Supplement
Published: September 2014
Publisher: Sweet & Maxwell Ltd
Country of Publication: UK
Format: Hardback & Supplement
Price: Out of print
The 7th Edition of the CIPA Guide is a fully updated version of this established work, acknowledged since 1980 as a must-have for any practitioner advising on patents.
Its purpose has remained unchanged since first publication: “The broad aim has been to provide a manual for reference, if not daily, at least whenever any doubt arises on the provisions of the Act or Rules and above all on the practice under them”.
Since publication of the 6th Edition in 2009 the flow of significant new material has been relentless, including revisions to the Patents Rules, the Civil Procedure Rules and EU Regulations and landmark decisions of the UK Courts, the EPO Appeal Boards and the US courts, which is of increasing significance to UK and European practitioners. This new edition fully evaluates and incorporates these developments, helping practitioner's to stay on top of the many changes.
Compiled by a team of 34 professionals including patent attorneys, solicitors and members of the Bar, individually selected for their knowledge of and insight into the subjects to which they contribute, this essential guide gives you all the tools you need to protect the rights of your clients
About the 1st Supplement
- The 2nd supplement was published in September 2014
- The 1st supplement was published in June 2013
- The main work was published in December 2011
- Features a unique section-by-section guide to the Patents Act, 1977 and relevant provisions of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988
- Includes the complete text of each section and of any relevant Patents Rules, Civil Procedure Rules and practice directions
- Provides extensive commentary on the interpretation of each section by the UK-IPO and courts and on relevant case law of the EPO Appeal Boards
- Refers to over 3300 decisions of the UK IP Office and courts and of the EPO Appeal Boards
- Includes in-depth of analysis of both reported and significant unreported decisions
- Acts as a practical guide to the current requirements of and procedures before the UK-IPO and the UK courts
- A trusted and authoritative text with an easy to follow layout making your research quicker and easier
- The first port of call for both patent prosecutors and litigators needing access to current law and practice
This new supplement, to accompany the 7th edition which published in December 2011, brings you the latest information so you can stay on top of the latest developments in intellectual property law.
New cases covered in the 1st Supplement to the 7th Edition:-
- HTC Europe v Apple  EWHC 1789 (Pat)
- Nokia v IPCom  EWHC 2235 (Pat)
- LG Electronics v Sony  EWHC 2319 (Pat)
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and Bayer Pharma v Genentech  EWHC 657 (Pat)
- Teva v Astra-Zeneca  EWHC 655 (Pat)
- Wagner v Earlex  EWHC 984 (Pat)
- Virgin Atlantic Airways v Jet Airways (India)  EWHC 2153 (Pat)
- Danisco v Novozymes  EWHC 3288 (Pat),  FSR 21
- Shire Pharmaceutical v Mount Sinai Medical School  EWHC 3492 (Pat),  FSR 18