McGregor on Damages 19th ed with 1st Supplement
Published: October 2016
Publisher: Sweet & Maxwell Ltd
Country of Publication: UK
Format: Hardback & Supplement
McGregor has been the leading authority on the law of damages for 150 years. It provides
comprehensive coverage of the law, from detailed consideration of the general principles to specific heads of damages.
Related procedural issues are also covered, bringing the work up-to-date with the impact of the Civil Procedure Rules.
NEW FOR THE 19th EDITION
- The 1st Supplement was published in December 2015
- The Main Work was published in July 2014
- The impact of the European Directive, implemented in the United Kingdom, on the damages to be awarded in our intellectual property statutory torts is analysed in detail.
- How the revolutionary Peters v East Midlands SHA, with the Court of Appeal holding that an injured person has an absolute right to choose private care over state-funded care, has progressed is documented.
- The virtual disappearance of Smith v Manchester awards on account of the new discounting criteria for contingencies of life in the Ogden Tables.
- Omak Maritime v Mamola Shipping and Grange v Quinn have cast new light on a contracting party’s right to claim for wasted expenditure, and the significance of the controversial Cullinane case is fully re-addressed.
There are five new chapters, either new or by division of existing chapters including:
- The Object Of An Award Of Compensatory Damages
- Terminology used in Compensatory Damages Awards
- Vindicatory Damages - pushed into the limelight by the six to three decision of the Supreme Court in Lumba v Secretary of State for the Home Department.
- Misfeasance In Public Office
- Invasion of Privacy
A primary reference tool on the general principles and the particular aspects of common law damages written by Harvey McGregor QC, an acknowledged authority for over 50 years, the book:
- Provide comprehensive coverage of the law of damages, from detailed consideration of the general principles to specific heads of damages
- Clarify complex areas such as loss of a chance, mitigation, causation and exemplary damages
- Examine such issues as periodical payments and interest on damages
- Go through statement of case, the trial and appeals
- Consider damages in relation to particular contracts, tort and human rights:
- Contracts -Sale of Goods, Hire and Hire-purchase of Goods, Sale of Land, Lease of Land. Sale of Shares and Loan of Stock, Contracts to Pay or to Lend Money, Building Contracts, Contracts for Carriage, Contracts of Employment, Contracts for Professional and Other Services, Contracts Concerning Principal and Agent. Contracts of Warranty of Authority by Agent
- Tort - Torts affecting Goods: Damages and Destruction, Misappropriation, Torts Affecting Land, Torts Causing Personal Injury, Torts Causing Death, Assault and False Imprisonment, Malicious Institution of Legal Proceedings, Defamation, Economic Torts, Misrepresentation, Infringement of Privacy and Misfeasance in Public Office
- Human Rights