McGrady on Social Media
Published: September 2011
Publisher: LexisNexis Matthew Bender
Country of Publication: USA
This must-have resource provides a framework to help you understand important questions in this rapidly-evolving area of law. It covers the impact of various laws on social media, such as copyright and communications, to aid the creation of social media policies.
Designed to provide an appreciation for the various issues raised by social media, this publication presents practical insight into the specific ways that certain platforms address those issues. The fairly broad scope of issues and platforms will serve as a starting point for research and also for the "quick answers" to recurring questions raised by clients.
Written for the busy practitioner, chapters contain Practice Notes setting out important take-aways and practical implications. This indispensable practice aid covers the following critical issues and includes these features:-
- A chapter addressing copyright issues and social media, including sample DMCA implementation procedures (Chapters 2)
- A chapter addressing the safe harbor provision, discussing practical implications of the safe harbor provision in the social media context (Chapter 3);
- A chapter on trademark issues and social media, serving as a brief introduction to the law of trademarks and domain names so that the reader can more fully appreciate the trademark policies published by the social media platforms discussed later in the treatise (Chapter 9);
- A chapter on employment issues and social media, providing an overview of employment cases that have examined issues relating to employee social networking. The chapter includes sample policy statements to provide guidance on employee use of social networking sites (Chapter 6);
- A chapter summarizing state by state cyberbullying, cyberharassment and cyberstalking laws (Chapter 8); and
- 16 chapters on all the major and rising social media websites (Chapters 11 thru 26).