LAG: Legal Aid Handbook 2013/14
Published: April 2013
Publisher: Legal Action Group
Country of Publication: UK
Price: Out of print
The Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act (LASPO) comes into force in April 2013. This is the most fundamental overhaul of publicly funded legal services in a generation. Even the most experienced legal aid practitioners will need practical guidance on the post-LASPO legal aid scheme.
The LAG Legal Aid Handbook 2013/14 is the only single volume guide to the civil, family and criminal legal aid scheme governed by the Legal Aid Agency. It is up to date to include:-
LAG Legal Aid Handbook 2013/14
- all the regulations governing the operation of the civil and criminal schemes, payment rates, financial eligibility and the statutory charge
- 2013 standard civil and criminal contracts, specifications and category definitions
- guidance on civil legal aid, on applying for exceptional cases funding and on the evidence to prove domestic or child abuse to the standard required to access family legal aid
- introduction of the mandatory telephone gateway
- changes to eligibility, means assessments and merits criteria
- funding of a case where failure to do so would result in breach of rights
provides a clear outline of the legal framework, explaining in detail what is in scope of LASPO. There is step by step guidance on conducting cases, getting paid, advocacy, financial and contract management, performance monitoring and quality standards plus an overview of the most recent policy developments. There are subject specific chapters where the rules are different: private and public family law, crime, immigration/asylum, mental health and mediation.
Packed full of case studies, checklists and practical hints, it is easy to navigate with extensive cross-referencing and signposting of the latest developments.