LAG: Legal Aid Handbook 2017/18
Published: April 2017
Publisher: Legal Action Group
Country of Publication: UK
This book is an invaluable companion and essential reading for all legal aid practitioners, from caseworkers to senior partners. The authors have expertly pulled together information that is not currently available in one place providing the only single volume guide to the criminal and civil legal aid scheme.
The Legal Aid Handbook 2017/18 gives practical, step by step guidance on conducting cases, getting paid, advocacy, financial and contract management, performance monitoring and quality standards and an overview of recent policy developments.
There are separate chapters on all the major areas of law covered by legal aid and sections devoted to litigators and advisers, advocates and managers.
This edition has been updated to include:-
- full coverage of the new 2017 crime contract
- latest changes and updates to the civil scheme
- discussion of current case law and hot topics in legal aid practice
- hints, tips and practical advice from how to manage a contract to navigating CCMS
- specialist chapters on billing, crime, public family law, private family law, housing, mental health, immigration and exceptional funding
- a dedicated section for advocates
- guidance on managing legal aid work and tendering for contracts
- a full round up of the latest policy developments
The Legal Aid Handbook 2017/18
is packed full of case studies, checklists and practical tips. It provides clear and easy to follow guidance on the ever more complex legal aid system and is essential reading for everyone involved in legal aid from new caseworkers to experienced lawyers and managers.