This text hopes to satisfy a pressing need for current information on the working methods of the six principal UN human rights treaty bodies:
the human rights committee
the committee on economic, social and cultural rights
the committee on the elimination of racial discrimination
the committee on the elimination of discrimination against women
the committee against torture
the committee on the rights of the child.
explanations of reporting procedures and the role of NGOs
tables detailing states party reporting obligations
presentation of the individual petition procedures
the substantive provisions of the treaties, with notes on the applicable general comments/recommendations.
This second edition is revised to take account of important developments in both law and practice. It explains procedures such as the individual petition and investigative procedures of the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women. It also describes the many changes and improvements in the range of procedures for NGO involvement in the work of the treaty bodies.
Preface to the Second Edition. Introduction.
1. Non-Governmental Organisations and the Reporting Procedures under the International Human Rights Instruments.
2. The Human Rights Committee.
3. The Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
4. The Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
5. The Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women.
6. The Committee Against Torture.
7. The Committee on the Rights of the Child. Appendix I; Sample lists of issues. Appendix II; Sample Concluding Observations. Appendix III; Model forms for individual communications. Index.